In 1908 the parish, then known as St. Ferdinand, was established. When the first church was built in Roy, the building was a two-story and housed both the church and the school. The school first opened its doors in September of 1912 and the dedication took place on September 26, 1912. The school was under the direction of Sisters Anthony, Theresa and Bernadine. The Sisters of St. Mary of Oregon continued to serve the facility until 1999.
Rapid growth in the parish created the need for a larger church. Bishop Augustine F. Schinner of Spokane consecrated the new building on October 4. 1921. At that time the name of the parish and the school was changed to St. Francis of Assisi.
By 1950, the decision was made to construct a new school building. Through the financial support and manual labor of the parish community, the new school opened in April of 1951. This building contained four classrooms, a small library, an office, and a half size gym. In 1998, a modular building with two classrooms was added in order to accommodate the changing needs of the school.
An integral part of the parish, St. Francis of Assisi School has developed along with the community it serves. Some fourth generation students are presently enrolled at St. Francis of Assisi School. With the school in its ninth decade of service, the administration and faculty anticipate serving a fifth generation of students, continuing a tradition of excellence in education and community service.